BEWARE OF SCAM ARTISTS TARGETING OPS CUSTOMERS
December 13, 2013
Opelika Power Services wants its customers (both residential and business) to be ON THE ALERT against SCAM ARTISTS who have been calling Opelika Power Services Customers stating that they owe money (usually several hundreds of dollars) to OPS and that their power will be cut off within a few minutes unless they go purchase a “pre-paid” card (usually at places like Circle K or CVS or Walgreens) in the amount of the money owed, and then call back to the 800 number and give them the number of the pre-paid card.
OPELIKA POWER SERVICES DOES NOT DO BUSINESS THIS WAY!
· OPS DOES NOT CALL and INSTRUCT PEOPLE TO GET A PRE-PAID CARD!
· OPS DOES NOT have an 800 number! WE ARE AN OPELIKA BUSINESS / UTILITY!!!
· Our billing comes out to our customers the same way it always has.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU RECEIVE A CALL:
1. Take down the “instructions” they give you
2. Take down the 800 given to you
3. Try to get a name of “who” has called you
4. CALL OPS at (334) 705-5170 and talk to a customer service representative.
5. CALL the Opelika Police Department once the scam has been verified and give them the information which was given to you. (points 1 – 3)